Apostle Paul encouraged us to “be eager to prophesy.” I want to increase my prophetic voice in 2021. Do you? Here are a five suggestions from scripture:
1. Love. Love ALL people. Democrats, Republicans, believers, non-believers, people of different faiths, immigrants. Love. Paul said, “Let love be your highest goal.(I Corinthians 14:1)” God is love. He speaks love. He communicates in love. If we want to speak on His behalf more accurately, we must see His children as He sees them. God is not angry and does not communicate in anger. He communicates in love.
2. Desire to prophesy. Be still. Listen. Journal. We are encouraged to desire all of the spiritual gifts but especially prophesy. (I Corinthians 14:2).
3. Our hearts, as we prophesy, should be to strengthen, encourage, and comfort others. (I Corinthians 14:3)” If our prophesy causes people to fear, we may need to rethink what we are hearing. If it our prophetic words are full of judgment and the promise of destruction, we should go back to point #1.
4. Prophesy should lead others to fall to their knees and worship God. God reveals secret thoughts (not secret sins). Our goal is not to point out people’s sins. They are completely aware of their sins. Our goal is to show them a better way, to call out the righteousness within them that has been buried.
5. Take a risk (I Corinthians 14:39). If God gives you a word speak it in humility. No one hears from God perfectly. Ask if the word resonates. If it doesn’t, be willing to admit you were wrong. Learn from the experience. And then step out in faith again tomorrow.
Desire to prophesy in 2021. The world needs the healing and comforting voice of the prophetic.
“Let love be your highest goal! But you should also desire the special abilities the Spirit gives—especially the ability to prophesy.
So, my dear brothers and sisters, be eager to prophesy, and don’t forbid speaking in tongues.”
1 Corinthians 14:1, 3, 24-25, 39 NLT