You do not become righteous by doing “the right” thing. Righteousness is a sovereign act of God. When you accept Jesus as Savior (that is opened to everyone), God sovereignly declares you right with Him.
Now because you didn’t earn it, you can’t lose it. It is a gift. And God doesn’t give with sticky fingers.
Why is this important?
1. Because you are right with God, you can ALWAYS enter in His presence. When you falter, when you mess up, Abba Father is waiting with arms wide to love on you and forgive you.
2. Because you are right with God, you are not condemned. You do not operate under guilt, shame or condemnation.
3. Because you are perpetually right with God, He does not withdraw from you when you make a mistake.
4. Because you are right with God, you can expect favor, blessings and open doors.
5. Because you are right with God and no longer concerned with sin, you are empowered to “Go and sin no more.”
“Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God’s sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin. This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe. There is no difference between Jew and Gentile,”
Romans 3:20, 22 NIV